Academic Offerings at Lakeland
Giving each student the highest education possible is our top priority. We recognize the value of a good education and how it plays into future success. As a year-round school, LGA has a unique advantage to help maximize potential and/or any previous time where they may have slipped behind.
Our students have the opportunity to achieve a premium education that is well-rounded and fully accredited. We offer year-round school while we also deal with each girl’s behavioral and emotional issues.
Our educational program features our own in-class teachers, and coursework is facilitated through Edgenuity Virtual Academy. It allows LGA students to achieve phenomenal progress towards high school completion and beyond. Edgeniuty offers initial credit courses, honors and Advanced Placement courses, credit recovery, intervention and test readiness.
Edgenuity Virtual Academy is a leading provider of online curriculum and instructional services. It is in use by more than 20,000 schools, including 20 of the 25 largest school districts, to meet academic goals and improve student outcomes.
Edgenuity Virtual Academy is accredited through Cognia (formerly AdvancED) and the Northwest Accreditation Commission (NWAC) and as such has nationally recognized accreditation. This is the same accreditation awarded to public schools and is fully recognized by high schools and colleges across the country. The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has also approved the Edgenuity instructional model and curriculum for online instruction of student-athletes.
While the Edgenuity program is intuitive and self-paced, our own certified classroom teachers make sure that our students keep up their coursework, offer to tutor, answer any questions, and give each student plenty of encouragement. Our teachers and parents as well are able to see at a glance how well each student is doing, through the online Edgenuity portal. Students who fail to keep up or are having difficulty with a certain topic are specifically helped, but if they are just dragging their feet out of rebellion, they may lose out on some privileges like outings and fun times until they choose to get caught up.
Increasing Student Engagement, Progress, and Achievement — Keeping students engaged in what they’re learning is vital to ensuring they master standards so they can move forward in their education
Edgenuity is an online classroom program that is especially helpful for students who are failing or have fallen behind in their studies. It meets the rigor of Common Core and state standards, as well as various state’s graduation requirements. Our online courses and curriculum are grounded in research and are aligned to state standards.
Edgenuity lays out the curriculum using a variety of teaching strategies and assessment tools such as direct instruction video, use of e-notes, transcripts of lessons, warm-ups, practice journals, quizzes, tests, writing exams, etc.
Students who want to use their time at LGA to get ahead can often complete two courses in the same amount of time it would take to complete one classroom course, allowing them to make up credits that they missed out on prior to attending LGA, or allowing them to get ahead or retake courses to improve their GPA.
Our math subjects are enhanced by IXL.com which provides grade-level practice problems per math concept that ensures a student’s mathematical confidence.
CGA also uses others tools such as Reading Plus, which has been shown to improve the reading level of a high school student. 95% of our graduates attain university reading level, showing a dramatic change in their comprehension abilities.
Edgenuity Makes Learning Easy for All Students
• On-screen teachers model problem solving by thinking aloud, allowing students to understand how experts think about mathematics.
• Lessons include a guiding question to promote inquiry and focus on big ideas.
• Students read and write, explore and create, practice, predict, and more in order to develop the analytical and critical thinking skills they need to succeed both now and in the future.
• An abundance of rich graphics, charts, diagrams, animations, and simulations help students relate to and visualize the content. Our full suite of learning tools, including read-aloud, text translation, and Guided Notes in select core courses, help students access content, organize information, and complete assignments.
• A variety of assessments test for mastery and immediately provide direct, actionable feedback so students can monitor their own progress and teachers can step in to provide additional help when needed. Pretests assess students’ strengths and weaknesses and help build an individualized content review program so students only receive instruction and practice on skills they have yet to master.
• Performance tasks allow students to demonstrate understanding with meaningful, real-world applications.
• Students can access data to monitor their own understanding and stay on track, and educators receive real-time data and reports to monitor students’ progress and performance.
Our classroom is overseen by on-site teachers and tutors who are available for questions, as well as online teachers and tutors for further help. Each student is given a laptop computer to use and their own space in a structured classroom atmosphere where they can fully focus on their schooling. Students do not have the distraction of cell phones, social media, or the distraction of unhealthy friends that could pull their attention away from schooling. We make it easy to succeed due to the atmosphere of our classroom.
For individual tutoring, LGA offers Math and English tutors who specialize in high school and college curriculum. Our students also utilize “White Board Meetings” set up through AOA to directly contact their online teachers for even more help. In White Board Meetings, students have the availability to talk with their online teachers in a live chat room, listen to the teacher, and follow along with the virtual whiteboard teachers use to explain lessons and problems.
Eleventh and twelfth-grade students will be enrolled in Standardized Assessment Tests (SAT) and given SAT prep material to study. Students will review with our on-site tutors before taking the SAT, which is necessary for college entrance.
After high school graduation, our students are enrolled in Liberty University’s online program. Students will begin their general education courses and begin earning college credits, which helps them succeed even more after graduating.
LGA presents a unique advantage where our students can focus on their schooling at a higher level than before, getting them on the right track.